The Happy Wife

Over the past eight years, I have become aware that my happiness in my marriage is as much dependent on what I do for or with him as it is on what he does for me. Happiness is a choice I make. I would love for my blog to become a place where other wives would come to be an encouragement to each other by reading my blogs and their comments.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Secrets in a marriage

I have been thinking I needed to post something new, but have been drawing a blank the last few days. Thank - you, Jon, over at The How-Not-To Guide, I have a new subject.

First of all, let me say that while I found that post kind of funny - most of his others were funnier - it grossed me out. Which brings me to secrets in a marriage. I am all for them. Any one else with me?

I am not talking about buying a dress for $80 and telling your husband it was $40. That isn't a secret, that's a lie. I am talking about the fact that some things just don't need to be shared - even, or especially, with your spouse. For instance, my husband does not know every detail about what happens to my body certain times of the month. He learned some of it in health class, but he learns nothing from me. To my discredit, he can usually figure out when I'm PMS-y. He also doesn't know what days I have insecurities about our marriage.

He has secrets, too. He has responsibilities at church that sometimes involve knowing things about people, and he doesn't tell me. That's fine with me. I also don't know much of what he does in the shower. And peeing - I hadn't even considered it until today. Had no clue. Was heavenly oblivious. Now I want to go clean it every time he gets out, just in case.

And guess what? I'm not going to ask him. When I mentioned Jon's blog to him, I did it with my back to him and I told him not to make any noise indicating whether he does or doesn't. That is one secret he can keep.

So how about you? Do you think a marriage should have secrets? What would be an acceptable secret? What should definitely NOT be a secret?

I've been thinking about tagging Jon on the subject of secrets. If you agree with me, go over and tell him he's been tagged. I'd love to get his perspective - and yours, so don't forget to leave a comment.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Rabbity-Sniff said…

    I don't think anything should be withheld in marriage. If he asks, you gotta tell. But that's only if he asks. Some things are a secret just because he hasn't asked . . . yet. He really doesn't have to know everything and I don't think he really wants to know everything. That's my take on it.

    I think maybe an acceptable secret would be something that you've only thought about. It's personal, it never came to fruition, and as long as you never say anything to anyone at all then all it ever was is a thought and nothing else. And some dreams that you might have (at night while totally unconscious) should never be shared - keep it a secret.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home