The Happy Wife

Over the past eight years, I have become aware that my happiness in my marriage is as much dependent on what I do for or with him as it is on what he does for me. Happiness is a choice I make. I would love for my blog to become a place where other wives would come to be an encouragement to each other by reading my blogs and their comments.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Russian River Falls

Last night was family night. We got out of church at 6:00 p.m. and headed for the Russian River Falls trail. It's a nice, couple-mile hike back into the wilderness to the river, where, on an average August day, you'll see the salmon jumping up the falls and on a good day, you'll get to watch the bears catching them. We had a good day. When we arrived at the falls, a brown bear was having dinner. We got to watch him/ her catch two salmon, then he/ she dashed into the woods with the last catch.

On the hike back to the truck, I was alone - Hunny and the kids had their bikes and left me in the dust. As I rounded a corner, the sound of the river completely disappeared behind a hill. I stopped and listened to the stillness. I couldn't even hear the kids in the distance - just - nothing. It was so beautiful.

Suddenly, I was transported back to Coudersport, PA, where my now husband and I went for our first walk. It was at a friend's birthday party, and we escaped the volleyball game to head up the hill. Springtime in the mountains. It was so peaceful. It was also the first time we held hands. We walked slowly, talking about I have no idea what. Just getting to know each other, learning things - remember those days?

When I recalled this experience to my husband a few minutes later, I mentioned that it had been just the two of us. He looked at the kids, and said, "We've come a long way, baby." He also reminded me that it wasn't our first time holding hands, but I refuse to count the ice rink where he and my brother tried to kill me by making me skate as fast as they can.

So, what is one of your favorite firsts in your relationship with your husband? First dinner you cooked him? First kiss? First anything?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Well, I have two:

    1. The first time we held hands was on the ferry going from Galveston Island to Bolliver Peninsula. It was late in the evening and we were with friends. He kind of grabbed my pinky with his, then before I knew it, our fingers were inter-laced :)

    2. Our first kiss was in my parent's driveway. We'd been dating for 3 months and he'd barely started holding my hand, so I didn't expect the double-take & kiss he gave me right before he sped away. We always hugged each other, but this time we hugged, he walked away, then came back, grabbed me and kissed me, then walked away again. I was stunned, but very excited because that was my first REAL kiss - and I was 20 years old!

    3. And, just for kicks, our first date was dinner at a local Tex-Mex restaurant, then a long walk at a nearby park. It was July & very hot, but I don't remember minding the heat that night. It was a very romantic night for us :)

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger Rabbity-Sniff said…

    I think I will remember the first time I kissed my husband for as long as I live. I mean, it's been five years since that day and I still remember it almost like it was just last night.

    In conversation with my then boyfriend, he was just vague enough about his previous girlfriends that I was lead to believe he had done A LOT of kissing. Not me, each boyfriend had to wait at least three months of dating for a kiss.

    He was at my place (I was 26 so I was renting one side of a duplex) and was sitting on the couch with me on the floor. I made the first move. It was so slow, so tentative, and so exquisite! It ended up being the lovliest long kiss I ever had.

    I found out later that was actually his first kiss that he willingly was a party to (the first was a girl that surprised him - he had no intention of kissing her, she just planted one on him and he didn't think he ever wanted to kiss anybody again).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home