The Happy Wife

Over the past eight years, I have become aware that my happiness in my marriage is as much dependent on what I do for or with him as it is on what he does for me. Happiness is a choice I make. I would love for my blog to become a place where other wives would come to be an encouragement to each other by reading my blogs and their comments.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A Tale From the Dark Side

The anniversary was terrible. I spent all day believing he would buy me flowers or a candy bar. When he left in the morning, we wished each other a happy anniversary. On his way home from work, he called because he was going to vote. We discussed that for about ten minutes, and when he arrived home he was empty handed. When I gave him his anniversary gift, he admitted that he had thought about getting me something, then forgotten. He felt like an idiot. At this point, I agree with him. So in the middle of the night, as I was trying to figure out how to state my situation - to anyone, even my self - without actually voicing the painful events again, I came up with this parable.

Imagine, if you will, that life is a big cold concrete floor. Love is a rug. Each person has a rug, maybe a persian rug, maybe one of those little area rag rugs; everyone's rug is different. We wander around looking for someone for whom we can put down our rug. Of course, in the process, we are looking for someone who has a rug that we like.

Your body, meanwhile, is other parts of what makes up a good marriage - the legs of trust and respect, the stomach of good cooking - or enjoying the same restaurants, the heart of appreciation, the brain of logic, the arms of acceptance. You get the picture.

So, you find someone. You each put down your rug and stand on the other's. Oh, it's so nice to not be standing alone on that cold floor anymore. Of course, you each take care of the rug the other is standing on - vacuum it, cut any frays off, steam clean it every once in a while. And you do all you can not to make it too hard for the other person to keep what is technically their rug in good shape. Don't stand on it with muddy shoes, don't spill red Kool-aid on it. Together, you go through life loving each other and being gentle with each other's love.

Well, last year, my husband pulled his rug out from under me. I crashed to the floor, shattering all trust and respect. Over the next few weeks, I discovered that he had been poised to do this throughout our whole marriage. It seems he was just waiting for me to look down at his hands, so that I would actually see him holding the corners as he yanked them.

Trust and respect do not heal as quickly as physical legs. I am still laying on the cold floor, waiting for someone to help me. My husband stands over me, holding his rug, and I truly believe he wants me to stand on it - he hasn't put it down for someone else - but he does nothing to help me get up. He just stands there and looks at me as I try to get to my feet with two broken legs. Neither of us knows what to do.

I have been to the Great Physician, and he does help sometimes, but then the Devil comes along and smacks my legs with a big stck. And I'm back down, and the pain is just as raw as the day it happened.

I don't have an ending for this parable, because I am living in the middle of it. Boy, I have dropped the "Perfect-Wife" ball all at once, haven't I? Honestly, I have never discussed our situation with anyone but my husband and God. I do not regret that decision, but I am beginning to think that I need to now. Don't worry, you gals won't have to be my pshychiatrists.

So, how do you end a blog like this? "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1 If I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, I would not need to trust God. I think I need to stand still and look up. Then I'll quit bumping into the tunnel walls, and God can bring the light to me. I hope that is true.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Mara said…

    You didn't drop ther perfect wife ball. If anything you've got a tighter grip than ever on it... it is not many women that would stand in the face of what you've gone through and give a second chance... good luck sweetie.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Ok, so let me tell you that you aren't the only wife to be faced with trust issues. I have no idea what your situation is, but I'd like to quickly share something that happened in my life - whether it applies or not, I have no idea. But, in overcoming the obstacle and sharing what I learned, I know that I've been able to help other friends because they simply know that I know what they're feeling.

    My hubby and I have been married for 10 1/2 years now and have 3 beautiful kiddos. Things are wonderful now, but that wasn't always the case. Right around the year and half mark of marriage, another woman entered the picture. There was absolutely no hanky-panky, but a very close friendship had developed and 'things' were in motion. She was in a miserable marriage so she went looking for someone that cared. She had her claws deep into my hubby's mind - his thoughts were of her and how wonderfully they fit together. They were soul mates. He'd most definitely made a mistake by marrying me and needed to figure out how to get out.

    Imagine my shock to find all of this out while he was inebriated and we were staying with friends! The long ride home was silent. I had no tears to cry because I was simply in shock! I had nothing to say to him because he wasn't listening - he had headphones on and was listening to a CD. So, there I sat, trying to figure it all out.

    It took a solid week of our yelling back & forth, my packing and then un-packing my suitcase for me to finally break. It was a Friday afternoon and I could no longer fake my happiness. I left work, went straight to his parent's house and cried for hours & hours. Hubby had talked to his mom about things thinking she'd side with him - even though he knew better. Anyway, they prayed with me, for us, then my mother-in-law did something I can never thank her enough for. She called a Christian counselor that a friend of hers had recommended. She made an appointment for us, then told us we were going or she'd be driving us there.

    It took exactly 2 very long sessions for us to work things out and for him to realize that God had put us together. He put his rug down for me to stand on, then stood by my side. He's never left!

    I can't say that the trust has always been there because it hasn't. But, when the devil has shown me reason to doubt his faithfulness, we've sat and talked (or yelled) through it many nights. It's taken years for me to finally believe that he wouldn't ever hurt me - even though he once did.

    All of that say, you're not alone. But, I'd strongly recommend finding a strong, Christian counselor in your area to talk to. Regardless of whether your hubby goes or not, you need to talk with someone. I'll be praying for you sweetie. Just hang in there and continue to trust in your savior. He knows & cares...

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Rabbity-Sniff said…

    It's hard to know what to say here. It sounds like a forgotten anniversary . . . kinda simple and worth forgiving right away. But then - well, then it sounds like something else altogether. It doesn't sound like you've dropped the "perfect wife" ball at all. But it feels like it, doesn't it? It's really hard to wait for God to touch/change someone you really love and care about - especially someone who is supposed to love and care about you too. It's hard to wait for another person to get thier life right with God especially when it effects your life as long as it takes. You know it's God's will and you pray and you wander why you seem to be the only one that feels any conviction - it's not YOU that needs to feel it. So you wonder what's going on?

    Maybe I'm way off base here. It's hard to decode the parable.

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger Katrina said…

    Please allow me to add my love and prayers to those of the long list of people who want to support and encourage you.

    Like everyone said, I don't know what you're going through, but I do know that our God can do anything.

    Years ago, I had a similar experience to what Jennifer described, except in my case, my husband actually did have an affair. It was devastating. But then the miraculous happened. God took all of our broken pieces and wove them back together into an even more beautiful creation than I could have imagined before the world fell apart.

    And, though it seemed impossible, trust has returned, bit by bit, day by day, until I can honestly say that I am married to my best, most trusted friend.

    I wouldn't wish the pain of that struggle on anyone, but neither would I go back and remove it from my own life; it's taught me to put my heart fully into God's hands and to believe in His power to hold me, comfort me, transform me.

    Keeping you in prayer, Debbi. May God's best blessings fall on you! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home