The Happy Wife

Over the past eight years, I have become aware that my happiness in my marriage is as much dependent on what I do for or with him as it is on what he does for me. Happiness is a choice I make. I would love for my blog to become a place where other wives would come to be an encouragement to each other by reading my blogs and their comments.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

My Mama Done Tole Me . . . Part 2

The number one thing I learned from my parents' marriage is this: In their lifetime, my children will experience firsthand two marriages - their own and mine. Mine, in so many ways, will set a foundation for what theirs will be (Ever hear the sayings - "She married her father," or "He married his mother" - it happens.) That said, some time ago, I wrote this to my children. Though they haven't seen it, I strive to make it true.

TO MY CHILDREN:
Ten things I will do today to help your future marriages be great:
10) I will laugh at your father's jokes when no one elase does - actually I think he's pretty funny.
9) I will tell him I love him while you are listening - at least once a day.
8) I will make sure you obey the rules that we have established for you.
7) I will do my best not to let you hear your father and I argue.
6) When you do hear us argue, and you will because we are not perfect, I will make sure you also hear the apology.
5) I will keep our house clean.
4) I will thank your dad for taking such good care of us.
3) I will bake cookies at least once a week just because you and your dad like them.
2) I will exercise, because physical health gives me the energy to keep up with you.
1) I will spend time with God, because spiritual health gives me the strength to teach you to love Him and others, too.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger Katrina said…

    That's a great list, Debbi! I especially love number ten--I always laugh at Paul's jokes, even when I am hearing them for the fifty-first time...lol! He says he's used up all his good material, so now he has to recycle.

    The rest of the list just paints a beautiful picture of a family where love rules. Your children (and husband) are very blessed!

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    I loved the list too! My favorite was trying not to argue in front of the kids - that one hits home because it seems like any time hubby & I argue (which really doesn't happen all that often anymore), a child (or all 3) are right there listening. Though we might not do it right then, we always try to work it out, also in front of them, so that they can learn what compromise is. I remember seeing & hearing my parents argue from time to time. It taught me that they were human and that life wasn't always perfect for them. I also knew beyond a doubt that they loved each other more than anything, so it was ok to disagree with someone you loved. I think that's important for children to know :)

    Loved this follow-up post!

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Rabbity-Sniff said…

    You actually bake cookies once a week? The same kind, always a different kind, rotate certain kinds? Do you have an ultimate cookie cookbook? I LOVE COOKIES!!

    I thought the rest of the post was good too, it's just that it's 1 in the morning and I'm pretty hungry so my mind is on the cookies.

    I'll say something more worthwhile later on the topic (of marriage, not cookies - although getting your cookies is a good part of marriage : )

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want to print that list and stick it on my fridge. A great list.

    Thanks for sharing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home