The Happy Wife

Over the past eight years, I have become aware that my happiness in my marriage is as much dependent on what I do for or with him as it is on what he does for me. Happiness is a choice I make. I would love for my blog to become a place where other wives would come to be an encouragement to each other by reading my blogs and their comments.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

My Mama Done Tole Me . . .

As almost any woman with a daughter will tell you, she is raising a little her. My husband often calls my daughter "Little Debbi." This can be very discouraging at times because I still have so many character traits that I need serious work on and she picks up so many of them.

Recently I've noticed something else my daughter has picked up. She treats my husband like a king. I know she got this from me, because in college, the wife of a professor told us that she had asked her husband, "How do I get you to treat me like a queen?" His response was, "Treat me like a king." As I watched their marriage, I often saw them both doing just that. So, I have tried to implement that into my marriage. And my daughter, picking up on it, has started to make sure Daddy has a drink when he's watching TV, or she asks to take his snack to him when he's working on the computer.

This - and a few other things - has gotten me to thinking about what I learned about marriage from my mother. I'm still thinking on that. Be prepared to ask that question later - What did you learn from your mother?

What I want to teach my daughter about marriage - now that's much easier. I want her to feel that being a wife and a mother is a fulfilling life. I want her to know that, while marriage is work, there is great satisfaction to be found in having a best friend, lover and co-worker all wrapped up in one person. This, of course, will be done on a daily basis with my life, not a week before she gets married with my words.

So, what do your children see on a daily basis that will encourage them to think of marriage as a positive - someday - addition to their lives?

My children see Mom greet Dad cheerfully at the door when he arrives home from work each night - often with a glass of tea in her hand.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Katrina said…

    Hmmm...your question really got me thinking. I think my kids will remember that their father and I were always openly affectionate with one another--holding hands, hugging, kissing. I hope they will notice how we try to show appreciation to each other for even the everyday things each of us contributes to the family. I thank my husband for working so hard for us, and he thanks me for making our home a refuge.

    I'm sure they will take away some bad habits, too, but hopefully they will recognize those for what they are and learn from them! :)

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Yep, I'm thinking the same thing Katrina said!!! I swear they are our twin family :) My hubby & I are always hugging, kissing, and snuggling together. I remember my mom & dad doing the same thing as I grew up, so that must be where we get it from. They were never afraid to say I love you; we say that often too.

    I have to say that I am no June Cleaver; I very rarely wait on my hubby. It's usually a balancing act for me to wait on my kiddos, so hubby tends to just get what he wants when he wants it. Every now & then, I'll grab something from the kitchen when asked, but I do not greet him at the door with slippers (or drink) in hand. Maybe that's something I should work on, who knows?!?

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Rabbity-Sniff said…

    I've only got a 2 yr old but I'm noticing that she notices everything and does things just the way her parents do. I hope she learns that she should be treated respectfully by others and that she should always treat others respectfully. I hope. So far, she's very polite (says she's sorry if she bumps you accidentally) and she's very concerned about whether or not you are happy. She gives hugs if you're not. I didn't teach her that so I'm hoping it's what she sees and so does.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home