The Happy Wife

Over the past eight years, I have become aware that my happiness in my marriage is as much dependent on what I do for or with him as it is on what he does for me. Happiness is a choice I make. I would love for my blog to become a place where other wives would come to be an encouragement to each other by reading my blogs and their comments.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Opportunity for Miracles

Wow! Two posts in one day. And I need to write 10,000 words for my novel, and finish cleaning up after the moose butchering party we had this weekend. Busy, busy, busy.

What I learned while my husband and I were apart. Here's the big one.

Judges 3: 1,2,4 "Now these are the nations which the Lord left to prove Israel by them, even as many of Israel as had not known the wars of Canaan; Only that the generations of the children of Israel might know, to teach them war, at the least such as before knew nothing thereof . . . And they were to prove Israel by them, to know whether they would hearken unto the commandments of the Lord, which he commanded their fathers by the hand of Moses."

This is, of course, the story of the generation of Israelites who lived after Joshua died. Their grandparents had seen Egypt conquered, crossed the Red Sea and had their needs met for forty years in the desert. Their parents had crossed the Jordan, marched around Jericho, and seen the Lord win many battles. God deliberately left nations in the land of Canaan to test this generation for faithfulness to Him. Would they fight the battles required to maintain their relationship with him? Would they allow Him to work the same miracles in their lives that their parents and grandparents witnessed? God already knew the answer - they didn't. They turned away from Him.

But what will I do with their example? Am I willing to fight the giants in my life to maintain the realtionships that God has put in my life? Am I going to allow Him to work miracles that will draw me closer to Him? Or will I move in with the giants, ignore His commands and worship other gods?

Honestly, I have been worshipping other gods. I have been overdependent on my husband for my moods. I have spent too much time "worshipping" our marriage - which does need it's own balanced share of attention.

Later in the week, after thinking about that passage for a couple days, I came across this quote: "What if God didn't design marriage to be 'easier'? What if God had an end in mind that went beyond our happiness, our comfort, and our desire to be infatuated and happy as if the world were a perfect place? What if God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy?"

So, I have changed my focus. I want to be holy. I know that ultimately that will lead to me being peaceful and joyful, which is better than surface happiness. There it is. My simple lesson.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Katrina said…

    I really identified with what you said about "worshipping" your marriage. I know now that before Paul and I hit the rocks, I really tied up almost my entire identity and self-worth in my role as half of this "perfect couple" I thought we were. Despite what the marriage books said, I fully expected that he would fulfill every need of mine, and vice versa. If things were cold or stilted between us, or we had an argument, it would destroy my peace utterly until we had cleared it up. And then the worst happened.

    But it was also the best.

    Because when it all fell apart, God truly sustained me and held me up, and showed me how I had made an idol of my husband, of my marriage.

    He has brought us so far, and we are partners now in ways we never were before, because we both see each other as we truly are--broken people, made whole by God's grace. I get my joy and my peace from God--and Paul can drink from my cup, but only because God is the one keeping it full.

    Bless you, Debbi! I see a true follower of Christ when I read your posts!

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger RosieBoo said…

    Great encouragement for a single gal here who hopes to be married one day. I've waited so long that I'd be afraid I might be more apt to make an idol out of my marriage. Thanks for the marital insights. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home